Download and update ESXi host to ESXi 5.5 Update 3b
Version: ESXi 5.5 Update 3b
Profile Name: ESXi-5.5.0-20151204001-standard
Yesterday I updated my test server to ESXi 5.5 update 3b, in this post; I will provide a step by steps process to install the 5.5 u3b.
If you are using vCenter make sure to upgrade vCenter Server to version 5.5 Update 3b before you update ESXi to ESXi 5.5 Update 3b.
vCenter Server will not be able to manage ESXi 5.5 Update 3b hosts if you update the ESXi hosts before updating vCenter Server to version 5.5 Update 3b. VMware best practices states that the vCenter Server should be upgraded prior to upgrading the managed ESXi hosts.
For this post, we will assume that you have access to ESXi shell. To enable ESXi shell check this post.
- Shutdown all running VMs or migrate them to another host
- Connect to ESXi shell via SSH and run the following command to enable httpClient through the firewall:
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
- Enter maintenance mode:
- Update the ESXi host to 5.5.0 Update 3b
esxcli software profile update -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml -p ESXi-5.5.0-20151204001-standard
- After a successful update, you will need to reboot:
- After rebooting connect back to the ESXi host and exit the maintenance mode: